Editing Issues (lost formatting, format buttons not working)

Last post 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM by AJClayton. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-18-2010, 2:35 AM 59466

Editing Issues (lost formatting, format buttons not working)

We've had a number of reports from our customers about difficulty editing content with CuteEditor. The two main issues are the formatting buttons not applying the styles (or correct styles) to selected text and losing existing formatting when editing other parts of the document.

The most recent incident involves an entry that contains a few paragraphs of text, then some styled tables. When the customer attempts to add a blank line at the top, the paragraph breaks and tables disappear, leaving just the styled text. This happens consistently under Safari and Firefox (Mac & Win7), but not under IE. I copied the raw HTML from the entry and pasted it into the CuteSoft.net demo page. The same thing happens.

The ongoing recurrence of these issues causes frustration for our customers and leaves us feeling uneasy about the stability of the editor.  We're using the latest version, as far as I can tell. The archive I downloaded tonight has the same date as the one installed on our server (Nov 11, 2009).

Any assistance or assurances of a more stable release in the near future would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 
  •  03-18-2010, 10:36 AM 59478 in reply to 59466

Re: Editing Issues (lost formatting, format buttons not working)

Michael.G:
    We've had a number of reports from our customers about difficulty editing content with CuteEditor. The two main issues are the formatting buttons not applying the styles (or correct styles) to selected text and losing existing formatting when editing other parts of the document.

The most recent incident involves an entry that contains a few paragraphs of text, then some styled tables. When the customer attempts to add a blank line at the top, the paragraph breaks and tables disappear, leaving just the styled text. This happens consistently under Safari and Firefox (Mac & Win7), but not under IE. I copied the raw HTML from the entry and pasted it into the CuteSoft.net demo page. The same thing happens.

The ongoing recurrence of these issues causes frustration for our customers and leaves us feeling uneasy about the stability of the editor.  We're using the latest version, as far as I can tell. The archive I downloaded tonight has the same date as the one installed on our server (Nov 11, 2009).

Any assistance or assurances of a more stable release in the near future would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

Can you reproduce the problems in the following example?

If so, can you show the steps to reproduce the issues?

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  03-24-2010, 12:54 PM 59627 in reply to 59478

Adam,

I sent you some sample HTML in a private message. I had some other issues reported by our customers, but I wasn't able to consistently reproduce them on the online demo. Where do I find the version number of the installation I'm using and what is the current version? Are there any known configuration or implementation issues (i.e. conflicting scripts, like jquery) I could be looking for on our edit pages?

Finally, a number of users have submitted reports similar to this:

"I’m also getting a dialog box saying something like “a script is running on this page and if it continues to run it may make the page become unstable” with Yes and No buttons. Once this happens, the web page just locks and becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it in task manager. This is happening when I use a XP client with IE 7, or a Vista client running IE8."

Thanks,
    Michael 
  •  04-06-2010, 9:25 AM 59894 in reply to 59627

Our clients are also having problems with this identical dialog box you mentioned. Has there been any resolution for this issue?
  •  04-07-2010, 10:35 AM 59919 in reply to 59466

This has been reported today by one of my clients too and I've checked the problem to make sure they're right. Specifically, the problem relates to highlighting text and attempting to apply colour to the selection using the font colour icon in the toolbar. (Or should I use International English and say "color"?).

Anyway, in IE 8 and Safari 4.0.5 it works fine, but in Firefox 3.6.3 (on Mac OS X 10.6) it appears to randomly apply colour to different parts of the text, not just the selected words. Sometimes it could be the rest of the paragraph (or div) other times it just randomly places a span around a few words or lines irrespective of what you've chosen to apply the style to. In Firefox 3.5.5 on Windows it worked fine but on Firefox 3.6.3 also on Windows it happens, but far less than with the Mac version (I only know that because I hardly ever use Windows and realised I had an old Firefox install on there when I was trying it out).

Don't you hate problems like this? I know the devs at CuteSoft will...

We're running the latest version of the Classic ASP install of CuteEditor.

Any help much appreciated...
  •  04-08-2010, 2:05 PM 59950 in reply to 59478

Adam,

Any word on these issues? I'm getting more and more reports of problems with the editor and I suspect it may be due to changes in the latest versions of the popular web browsers, since we haven't changed anything on our end (editor software or configuration). It has become unusable. Can you tell us if these are known issues that are being worked on, or is the ASP version of CuteEditor not longer being supported or updated?

Thank you,
    Michael 
  •  04-12-2010, 10:11 PM 60038 in reply to 59950

Michael.G:
    Adam,

Any word on these issues? I'm getting more and more reports of problems with the editor and I suspect it may be due to changes in the latest versions of the popular web browsers, since we haven't changed anything on our end (editor software or configuration). It has become unusable. Can you tell us if these are known issues that are being worked on, or is the ASP version of CuteEditor not longer being supported or updated?

Thank you,
    Michael 

Hi Michael.G,

Can you sent the sample code and show me the steps to reproduce this issue?

Regards,

Ken
  •  04-20-2010, 10:30 AM 60254 in reply to 60038

Is there any progress to report on this? Still having the same problems.

Thanks
View as RSS news feed in XML