Few question regarding functionality of the editor and the developer license

•  03-21-2009, 3:31 PM

Few question regarding functionality of the editor and the developer license

Hi, I'm currently looking for "the best" HTML editor around and I'm still trying to choose between the telerik RAD grid and the Cuteeditor. They both have their pros and cons, cuteeditor seeming to have more pros than cons....

A few things I like very much about the RAD editor, I can't find in the cuteditor (at least not in the demos). Those features may, however, exist without me knowing, or maybe they can be implemented using a few javascript calls into the object model of the cuteeditor:
    1. Something I just now notice: Why is it that when I move my mouse over one of the dropdowns at the top toolbar, the mousepointer is an I-beam instead of an arrow? Is this adjustable in the stylesheet (this is IE)? And, using Navigator, the mouse icon when over toolbar buttons has that weird "acces denied" or something cursor?
    2. I really, really like the way spellchecking has been implented in the RAD grid. Spellchecking in cuteditor opens a separate dialog. The behavior of such windows depends very much on which browser you're using, but (imo) is only acceptable in FF and IE. Other browsers open a new tab, or place a new icon on the taskbar when opening such a modal new window. Is there any way the default spellcheck can be overriden to use one of those "not-really-a-dialog" screens? The ones used by, for instance, the image gallery?
    3. Another feature of the RAD grid is that the toolbar can be hidden when the editor doesn't have the focus and shown when it does. This is a real space saver (and makes the page less bloating as well, when lots of other controls exist). Does the cuteeditor have an option to use javascript calls to show hide the toolbar at such events?
    4. Closely related to point "3". Is it possile to use javascript calls to change the toolbar layout? Real world example: having several small editors (with few space for toolbar buttons) showing a small subset of the toolbar buttons but, when switching to full screen few, replacing that simple toolbar with a full toolbar (and back again, when switching to small window).

Some license questions:

A single developer license allows for a single developer developing as many web apps as you wish using the cuteeditor and freely redistribute to as many servers (client servers or own servers) as you wish, from what I understand (and which is usually the case with developer licenses).
    1. I maybe overlooking this, but I can't find anything about expiration of that license. I'm sure the redistribution license (as well as the actual developer license) does not expire, but usally they also include 1 year of support and updates and a reduced fee at the end of that year for another year of support and updates. I can't find anything regarding that on your site; how's that with the cuteeditor?
    2. I'm evaluating these two editors not for myself, but for a client of mine. They do not develop themselves; they hire developers on a project-to-project base to develop for them. So it won't be suficient for me to obtain a developer license (in this case; I'll probably need one for other apps I'll be creating, but that's not currently the case). Is it possible for my client to obtain a single developer license and grand the developer rights to the developer they are working with at any which time (providing, of course, that it will only be one developer at a time, which will certainly be the case...)?

Thanks,
    Rick

View Complete Thread