c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Sailfish\CuteEditor_Files" is denied.

Last post 03-09-2004, 12:36 PM by programx. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-01-2004, 1:41 PM 279

I followed the instructions to install and got the license configured.  I then placed an editor on my form, and I am getting this error:

Is there a folder that I need to create?  I did not see that step in the installtion instructions.

•  02-01-2004, 1:42 PM 280 in reply to 279

Re: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Sailfish\CuteEditor_Files" is denied.

Sorry, I cut off the error message:

Access to the path "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Sailfish\CuteEditor_Files" is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Sailfish\CuteEditor_Files" is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

•  02-01-2004, 1:59 PM 281 in reply to 280

I figured it out.  I had to give the correct permissions to ASP.NET
  •  02-04-2004, 7:05 AM 300 in reply to 281

Yes.

While it's pretty cool the it extracts the files it needs, I personally think that's a bad design decision on the part of CuteSoft.Net. I'd rather have separatre directories with the images I need and no mandatory Upload directory. I know I can (and did) pull those fill into my project on their own so that I don't have to go through this, but I'm sure this is a question they're going to get time and time again until they change how this works.

•  02-05-2004, 10:19 AM 302 in reply to 300

and worse.. for the dll to create those initial directories requires one giving the ASPNET account all access to the root directory that the application resides in , something you see time and time again is a very bad idea

in some places (my hosting account on CrystalTech.com), one might not even be able to do that......

this editor is very stable, very flexible, and very feature-rich, but the above permission thing is a huge con

•  02-06-2004, 12:42 AM 308 in reply to 302

You do not need write permissions for ASPNET account on your production server.

The best way to extract the CuteEditor files are to install the component on your workstation, extract the files there and include the files into your deployment package when updating your production server.

It is never a good idea to install packages like this directly to your production server.

The fact that the files are embedded into the assembly, simply remove the need for å custom install program.

I like the fact that I can replace the images, and modify some of the functions by accessing the contect in CuteEditor_Files.

If all the Images and .aspx files had been hidden into the assembly, no customization would be possible.

Regards,

Thomas

•  02-06-2004, 5:08 AM 312 in reply to 308

Theres two issues with your post

1) That some people do not work in a local/production setup, some have the site and work on it directly.....

2) You can't get away without ever setting permissions otherwise you'd run into "Security Problem" when someone goes to upload an image in the gallery

•  02-09-2004, 9:48 PM 358 in reply to 312

I work in a development/production setup, so this method will work fine for me.
  •  03-09-2004, 12:36 PM 539 in reply to 358

I am having the same problem. I got it working after following this thread, but after having updated my project to my ISP's servers, the problem has returned.

I have tried it in a directory I KNOW has writeable permissions by the ASPNET process, as this has been arranged for me as an upload directory. I have tried it in a directory on its own and I have tried deploying the files using the Copy Project button as part of the project. Oh, and I have also tried FTPing the files over directly.

This editor is very good and I would like to be able to use it!

Thanks

View as RSS news feed in XML