Password Encryption

Last post 08-13-2010, 9:20 PM by terikopeacemk. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-13-2010, 1:35 AM 63368

Password Encryption

Hi !

I wanted to ask how does the CuteChat validate the password inside this function call. This is for the CuteChat Standalone version.

( snippet below is from Login.aspx for example )

// < at this point in the system, the variable 'password' is encrypted >

If (!CuteChat.ChatProvider.Instance.ValidateUser(username, password)
    {
        MsgBox("Wrong password!");
        return;
    }

Currently I'm working on a module that encrypts the password. While encryption is successful, when I login with my password, it reports "Wrong Password". (I replaced the password in the database with the encrypted password when doing this test)
    However, with the same encryption code in place, whenever I login as username "admin" and "admin" as password - I am authenticated by the system.

I tried looking at the ValidateUser method but it doesn't have a .cs file so I was hoping to know how it works inside. 

I wanted to ask if what I'm wanting to do is possible ? (basically, to encrypt the password then authenticate it in the Users table)

Or if this isn't - I wanted to ask for advice if I wanted to encrypt the password before actually storing it in the database. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Assume the passwords in the Users table are already encrypted.
  •  08-13-2010, 9:20 PM 63394 in reply to 63368

Re: Password Encryption

It's ok now. I've found a work-around to this already.
View as RSS news feed in XML