Still Lost in installing the scripts HELP!!!!

Last post 06-05-2005, 2:13 AM by lundrigan. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-03-2005, 10:31 PM 7249

Still Lost in installing the scripts HELP!!!!

Lets see how can I explain this?  I have created a 5 page website to one of my clients, the site consist of images and text only.  I wanted a solution for my client to edit the web pages her self.  So, I purchased CuteEditor for ASP, I uploaded the scripts into my host server, then I create a test.asp with the code like this:

<!-- #include file = "include_CuteEditor.asp" -->
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <form name="form1" method="post" action="">
    <%
    Dim editor
    Set editor = New CuteEditor
    'Create a new editor class object
    editor.ID = "Editor1" 'Set the ID of this editor class
    editor.Text = "Type here" 'Set the initial HTML value of editor control                           
    editor.FilesPath = "CuteEditor_Files"
    editor.ImageGalleryPath = "/Uploads"                               
    editor.DisableItemList = "Save"
    editor.Draw()

%>
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>

When I type the URL to this page I am able to see it but, I want to edit the web pages I’ve created.  I am not a programmer I just happen to build a five-page site.  How can I integrate CuteEditor for ASP to my five web pages, so that  I can edit it time to time?  Please someone help me understand it, without using Jargon, but in Laymen’s terms.
  •  06-04-2005, 12:20 AM 7250 in reply to 7249

Re: Still Lost in installing the scripts HELP!!!!

Without using some form of database to maintain and reload the changes.  You might experiment with

Editor1.LoadHTML("document.html") and Editor1.SaveFile("document.html")

Make sure you make backupos your files first.  The optimum solution would be to use a database to store just the content area of the page.  This way the client will not manipulate the layout of the site.  Although Cuteeditor also has templates which might get around this type of issue.
  •  06-05-2005, 12:45 AM 7258 in reply to 7250

hey thanks for taking the time to answer me.  Lets say I have a page called "AboutUs.asp"  and this web page is already created and designed.  How can I integrate the CuteEditor into AboutUs.asp?  Shouldn't there be a login where the client needs to enter in order to edit the AboutUs.asp? 
  •  06-05-2005, 2:13 AM 7259 in reply to 7258

You would have to create a page like management.asp with links to each of the pages.

When they click a link you would pass the filename of the file.  In this case aboutus.asp.  This would take you to a page like editor.asp.  Which loads the cutesoft editor with the page loaded into it.  You would then create a save.asp page which would take the results of changes on the page and perform the editor.save(filename) to commit the changes to the orginal aboutus.asp page. 

I hope this makes some sense.  the editor itself would not be on the actual aboutus.asp page it would be on a management page.  You could put a login page prior to the management page if you like a simple login.asp that reads the username and password and checks for validty and then redirects to the management page would suffice. Then using a server side include file you can check for a session variable to verify they have logged in otherwise redirect back to login.asp.
View as RSS news feed in XML