Re: Versioning in CE

•  07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Re: Versioning in CE

HAH!  It's good to see that I'm not the only one who has a problem with the lack of versioning in CE 6.0.  I'll be honest, this whole thing has really tested my patience.  Here's a thread that I opened on the subject.

This is my theory - 6.0 was supposed to be bug-free.  However, it was buggy as all hell, which is why Adam has to make updates to it, like, every 3-4 days.  Even if he was using versioning, this would still be a pain in the ass.  Unless your software is in beta, you should NOT have to do this many updates.  I should not have to check a stupid website every day to see if a new version is up.  A rich text editor is really but a small component of my software, and I shouldn't have to spend this much time and effort on it.  I'm sorry Adam, but your software just isn't THAT important.

Anyway, the lack of versioning makes everything even worse.  I can't possibly stress how unprofessional this is.  I think it would be hilarious if a real software company were to eschew version numbers, and instead say, "Umm, we're not using version numbers.  Instead, we're going to update our software every few days without telling you.  It will be your job to check our downloads page to see if a new version is up.  Oh yeah, and since we won't be using version numbers, you'll have to check the date when the file was posted.  Likewise, you will have no way of referring to your version number when asking for customer support, and there will be no easy way for you to tell which version you are running.  Finally, we won't give you any indication of when you can expect an actual bug-free release of our code.  You just need to keep checking our downloads page every day for the rest of your life.  Have fun!"

And when I've asked when we can expect an actual bug-free version of the code - you know, an actual release that will be good for a while - I get this lame line about how, "We're never going to stop improving our product."  Like I'm asking them to make a final version of their software and then never add any new features again.  This is forehead-slappingly stupid.  I seriously wanted to pound my head on the desk when I read this.  Listen, I'm not asking for a "FINAL VERSION."  I'm asking for an ACTUAL RELEASE.  One that won't be updated again until a few months have passed.  You know, like what every other company on this planet does?

Here's a hint for the Cutesoft people - next time you want to release a buggy, experimental version of your code, put it in beta and save us the trouble, OK?  And while you're at it, take a look at how other software companies operate.  THEY USE VERSION NUMBERS!
View Complete Thread